The month of August was very bad to the Chicago White Sox in the standings as they won just nine times in 28 opportunities.
In August, the White Sox were 9-19 as they began and ended the month with a win. On Aug. 1 the White Sox defeated the Minnesota Twins 10-8, and on Aug. 31 they won by a 6-2 score over the Detroit Tigers.
In-between those wins, there was a lot of losing.
Here are some team highlights for the month:
• The White Sox lost six series in the month of August, but managed to split two series and win just one.
• The two series splits were a four-game series to end the month against the Tigers and a two-game series at San Francisco.
• Chicago’s series win was against the Toronto Blue Jays on Aug. 15-17 at US Cellular Field.
• Series losses came against the: Minnesota Twins, Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees and the Cleveland Indians.
• The only teams to sweep the White Sox in August were the Orioles and Yankees, which was a six-game losing streak from Aug. 18-24.
• Chicago also had a four-game losing skid combined against the Rangers and Mariners from Aug. 5-8.
• The White Sox didn’t have consecutive wins all month.
• This was the first month all season (excluding March) where the White Sox didn’t have double-digit victories.
• In Aug. 2013 the White Sox were 16-23.
• In Aug. ’14 the White Sox scored 102 runs and allowed 167 runs.