White Sox winless on Saturday’s in ’14
Jun 27, 2014; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Chicago White Sox designated hitter Adam Dunn blows a bubble while waiting for his turn at bat during the White Sox 5-4 win over Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports
Have you realized the Chicago White Sox have yet to win on a Saturday in 2014?
It is a weird start to have, but yet, it is true.
With today being Saturday, June 28, the final Saturday of the month, maybe this is the day the White Sox become “weekend warriors” and win on what I consider the best day of the week.
Today could be the day the White Sox win on Saturday as they have their left-handed ace Chris Sale (6-1, 2.27 ERA) taking the mound for the “Good Guys” against the Toronto Blue Jays. He’ll be facing Marcus Stroman (4-2, 4.25 ERA).
Not winning on a given Saturday could be nothing, but for research purposes let’s look at all of the Saturday results from this season:
• April 5, loss to Kansas City Royals, 4-3
• April 12, loss to Cleveland Indians, 12-6
• April 19, loss to Texas Rangers, 6-3
• April 26, loss to Tampa Bay Rays, 4-0
• May 3, loss to Cleveland Indians, 2-0
• May 10, loss to Arizona Diamondbacks, 4-3
• May 17, loss to Houston Astros, 6-5
• May 24, loss to New York Yankees, 4-3
• May 31, loss to San Diego Padres, 4-2
• June 7, loss to Los Angeles Angels, 6-5
• June 14, loss to Kansas City Royals, 9-1
• June 21, loss to Minnesota Twins, 4-3
At this point last season on Saturday’s the White Sox were 4-9 on Saturday as the month of June was ending.
The White Sox have allowed 65 runs on Saturday’s thus far this season, while scoring 35, including being shutout twice. They have also been held to one run once.
Is this a pattern to worry about? Maybe, but let’s be honest with ourselves, the White Sox haven’t played all that well on the other six days of the week either.