Chicago White Sox Morning BP: Chris Sale to start Thursday
Aug 30, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox starting pitcher Chris Sale (49) throws a pitch against the Detroit Tigers during the first inning at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports
Whenever Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale makes a start it is must see TV, or the least must DVR TV, as the White Sox are set to end their four-game series against the Oakland Athletics in a day game at 1:10 p.m. CT. at US Cellular Field today.
In this start, Sale won’t be the only pitcher on the mound with double-digit wins, as he’ll be opposed by Scott Kazmir, who is 14-7 with a 3.42 ERA. Sale is 11-3 with a AL-best 2.09 ERA.
September 6, 2014; Oakland, CA, USA; Oakland Athletics starting pitcher Scott Kazmir (26) reacts after being removed from the game during the seventh inning against the Houston Astros at O.co Coliseum. The Athletics defeated the Astros 4-3. Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
Kazmir is looking to get back on track as the A’s are in postseason contention. He is 0-2 with a 13.50 in his past three starts (10.2 IP) with just nine strikeouts.
In those past three starts, two against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and his most recent start against the Houston Astros, Kazmir has allowed 15 hits, 16 earned runs and has walked 11.
On Sept. 6 vs. Houston, Kazmir went 6.1 innings, allowing three earned runs on three hits and five walks.
Maybe the White Sox can force Kazmir into some high pitch counts on Thursday afternoon?
In a closer look at Sale’s starts the past three games, it shows he has been on point. In that span of games, Sale is 1-0 with a 1.89 ERA with 25 strikeouts. He also holds a 3.62 ERA for his career vs. the A’s, who he is 2-2 against in 32.1 innings pitched.
This game will air on CSN Chicago and the MLB Network today, and should be a fun one to watch. Remember, this is one of the must watch games either live or on DVR.
In other White Sox news:
• Paul Konerko wants to return on the White Sox lineup sometime on the upcoming road trip.
• Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago wrote about how Chris Bassitt impressed in his second career start on Wednesday night.
• Here is a video from the Chicago Tribune of Bassitt talking about his start.
• At SS, Joshua McKenzie has an article on Dayan Viciedo.
• The Chicago Sun-Times wrote about how Konerko says the White Sox are in a better place this season.
• In AL Central news … the Royals are back in front of the AL Central standings as the Kansas City Star article writes of their win over the Tigers.
• Here is what the Daily Herald had about Konerko and his career nearing an end.
• CBS Chicago says Danks still looking for consistency.