White Sox spring training getting closer
Sep 16, 2014; Kansas City, MO, USA; Chicago White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu (79) is congratulated by team mates in the dugout after scoring in the seventh inning against the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports
With Feb. 20 being the day the Chicago White Sox pitchers and catchers report to spring training, we’re a just 11 days away from that glorious time when all of us will be able to really begin to sink our teeth into the 2015 season.
Sure, spring training games don’t start until March 4, at least Feb. 20 gives us something to countdown to during these cold winter months this offseason. The rest of the team reports Feb. 24.
Speaking of the offseason, with all the moves the White Sox have made thus far, one thing that really hasn’t been touched by the organization is the farm system. In a CSN Chicago article by Dan Hayes, he talks about this offseason and how the team held onto Tim Anderson and other top prospects:
"“But even more valuable is the fact that Hahn has managed to hang onto shortstop Tim Anderson, fireballer Francellis Montas and up-and-comer Tyler Danish. MLB.com rates Anderson, Montas and Carlos Rodon among the top-100 prospects while ESPN.com swaps out Montas for 2014 second-rounder Spencer Adams.”"
Thinking about it … keeping those players might be the most impressive move of the entire offseason by General Manager Rick Hahn and the White Sox front office, because most likely those players will play huge roles in the future success of the franchise. That’s a bold thing to say considering the White Sox really revamped their MLB roster.
Next: Will the White Sox make one more impact move?
In news around the AL Central from FanSided:
• Puckett’s Pond wrote about how Oswaldo Arcia is “redefining his own ceiling.”
• Wahoo’s on First asked are the Indians “relying too heavily on players coming off injuries.”
• Kings of Kauffman gave a projection of what Lorenzo Cain‘s regression will look like.
• Motor City Bengals wrote how Justin Verlander is trying to reclaim his crown.
Video of the Day: Yesterday was the 21st anniversary of Michael Jordan signing with the Chicago White Sox:
In White Sox news:
• The White Sox are taking Paul Konerko his locker to him to Arizona writes WhiteSox.com.
• CBS Chicago has an article where pitching coach Don Cooper says the best is yet to come from Chris Sale.
• The Chicago Tribune says the White Sox have made a “big splash in offseason.”
• Scott Merkin had a mail bag on WhiteSox.com.
• Did you see former White Sox Julio Franco will be a player-manager in Japan at 56 years old? We wrote about it at Southside Showdown.
• At isportsweb.com an article asks if Jose Abreu “will suffer a sophomore slump”
• Also at Southside Showdown we had an article on James Shields and how he won’t be on the White Sox.
Tweet of the Day
This means both James Shields and Max Scherzer are out of the AL Central and in the National League. Enjoy!