Cody Daily signed by White Sox organization
Aug 18, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; The Chicago White Sox logo behind home plate before a game between the Chicago White Sox and the Texas Rangers at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Jon Durr-USA TODAY Sports
This past week the Chicago White Sox added another player to their farm system in first baseman Cody Daily, who was signed to the organization on Feb. 10 according to the White Sox transaction page.
Cody Daily (Southern Illinois Athletic Dept.)
The newest minor league signing for the White Sox played college baseball at Southern Illinois, and has yet to play in the minors at the Rookie League level or higher.
Standing at 6-3, Daily was second team All-Conference in the MVC (Missouri Valley Conference) as a senior, playing his junior and senior seasons at the school.
In ’14 at Southern Illinois, Daily batted .333 in 56 games, where he had a .519 slugging percentage, with an on-base percentage of .422. His 210 at-bats saw him finish with 70 hits, including 17 doubles, two triples and six home runs.
Those stats, along with 33 walks, allowed Daily to garner 28 RBIs.
During his ’13 season (55 games), Daily collected a .287 average with a .385 SLG and .381 OBP. He had 26 RBIs that season with two home runs and 56 total hits.
His player profile at Southern Illinois says about his senior season:
"“Led the team in batting average (.333), hits (70), doubles (17), triples (2), home runs (6), total bases (109), slugging percentage (.519) and on-base percentage (.422)…Finished fifth in the MVC in batting average, slugging percentage and on-base percentage…Ranked sixth in the Valley in hits and tied for fourth in doubles…Tied for sixth in the MVC in home runs and total bases …”"
Next: Who will be the White Sox starting 2nd baseman in 2015?
Though Daily will most likely never see any time at first base for the White Sox in the foreseeable future with Jose Abreu manning the position for the Good Guys, maybe the 22-year old can work his way through the White Sox minor league system and see what happens with his baseball career.
With these type of signings, it is just interesting to learn a little bit about the new players in the organization. Who knows, maybe one day, one of these signings (though a long shot) will become a household name … that is the beauty of sports and baseball in general.
Best of luck to Daily and his baseball future with the White Sox organization.
In AL Central news from FanSided:
• (Detroit Tigers): Motor City Bengals listed bullpen arms the Tigers should be looking at.
• (Kansas City Royals): Kings of Kauffman profiled prospect Mark Peterson.
• (Cleveland Indians): At Wahoo’s on First, they said only the Indians’ defense can “only go up from here.”
• (Minnesota Twins): Puckett’s Pond looks at the upcoming 2015 season.
In White Sox news:
• CSN Chicago wrote about the signing of Nick Delmonico, who the White Sox signed as a free agent.
• The official White Sox website says Ken Williams has three messages for White Sox fans.
• The Chicago Sun-Times says the White Sox hope “new faces” leads to “new places” for the upcoming season.
• Our own Joshua McKenzie gave his thoughts on the addition of Matt Albers to the White Sox.
• Also at Southside Showdown, we had an article on why Adam Eaton will make the All-Star team in 2015.
Tweet of the Day: