The Chicago White Sox (13-6) head north of the border this evening to open a three game series with the Toronto Blue Jays (10-10) at the Rogers Centre.
The White Sox come into the series at 13-6, good for first place in the American League Central division, a half game ahead of the defending world champion Kansas City Royals. The White Sox are coming off of a 5-2 home stand after they split a four game series with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and then swept the Texas Rangers, and their potent offense this weekend at U.S. Cellular Field.
The White Sox have rode the second best pitching staff in all of baseball to their best start in recent memory, but that pitching staff that touts a league best .202 opponent batting average will be put to the test in this series against the high powered Blue Jays this week.
The Blue Jays enter play today with a 10-10 record, which many will say is a surprising record for a team with the firepower in the lineup that the Jays feature this season. Reigning MVP Josh Donaldson leads the Blue Jays in nearly all offensive categories, boasting a .304 batting average with seven home runs, and 19 RBI in the Jays first 20 games.
- Game 1: Miguel Gonzalez [0-0 0.00 ERA] VS. Marcus Stroman [3-0 4.13 ERA]
- Game 2: Chris Sale [4-0 1.80 ERA] VS. R.A. Dickey [1-2 6.10 ERA]
- Game 3: Jose Quintana [2-1 1.82 ERA] VS. Marco Estrada [1-1 2.50 ERA]
Blue Jays:Loup, Aaron (P)
Possibly early May
Strained flexor tendon in left elbow
Throwing long toss as of April 19 update.Martin, Russell (C)
Not in starting lineup April 24.Morales, Franklin (P)
Possibly late April
Left shoulder fatigue
Resumed throwing program week of April 18.Saunders, Michael (RF)
Sore left hamstring
Not in starting lineup April 22-24.Schultz, Bo (P)
Possibly early May
Recovering from offseason hip surgery
Pitching in extended Spring Training as of April 19 update.Travis, Devon (2B)
Possibly late May or June
Recovery from November 2015 left shoulder surgery
Started taking batting practice week of April 18.
White Sox:Avila, Alex (C)
Right hamstring strain
Placed on 15-day DL on April 24.
- Game 1: 6:07 PM (CT) / TV – CSN+ / Radio – WLS 890AM
- Game 2: 6:07 PM (CT) / TV – WPWR / Radio – WLS 890AM
- Game 3: 6:07 PM (CT) / TV – CSN / Radio – WLS 890AM
Keys to Victory:
- The offense looked better this weekend versus the Rangers, but they will need to improve upon that success this week against the Blue Jays. As good as White Sox pitching has been, this Blue Jays offense will be hard to shut down for all three games, so at some point we have to see the bats come to life some more.