May 24, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox starting pitcher John Danks (50) delivers a pitch during the first inning against the New York Yankees at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports
Yesterday was the game that just got away from the Chicago White Sox, and even though we don’t like to see that happen, it does, and we’ll just have to move on from it.
The one positive in the loss for the White Sox (25-26) on Saturday, was the eight innings of scoreless baseball pitched by John Danks, which was much needed for the “Good Guys.”
The White Sox are 25-26 overall
Danks, as seen in this Chicago Tribune video, rebounded well from a previous start against the Houston Astros.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
Look at the difference a week can make:
• At Houston (May 18): 4.2 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 7 K, ERA after game: 5.64.
• Vs. Yankees (May 24): 8 IP, 3 H, 0ER, 0 BB, 4 K, ERA after game: 4.90.
That’s a hefty improvement, and any of us would gladly take the less amount of strikeouts, in return the number of hits and earned around are decreased by over five each.
Danks, this season, is 3-4 with the aforementioned 4.90 ERA in 10 starts. In those starts, he’s pitched 60.2 innings allowing 34 hits, 33 earned runs (eight home runs) with 26 walks and 45 strikeouts.
Batters are hitting .254 against him, and his WHIP is 1.42.
The type of start he had Saturday vs. New York is what is expected of Danks, and hopefully he can continue that trend in upcoming starts.
In other White Sox news:
• CSN Chicago says watch out for Carlos Rodon as the MLB First-Year Play Draft nears.
• Here are the MLB Standings headed into Sunday’s games.
• CBS Sports writes, “Ronald Belisario a mess on Saturday.”
• We reviewed “Man Crates,” on Saturday.
Subscribe to the Southside Showdown free daily newsletter from FanSided by clicking here or add the FanSided mobile app by clicking here. Please follow Southside Showdown on Twitter and like us on Facebook.