Jun 14, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox relief pitcher Scott Downs (37) pitches against the Kansas City Royals during the seventh inning at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: David Banks-USA TODAY Sports
So far this season I’ve described the play of the 2014 Chicago White Sox as fun and exciting at times, but lately they have become a little stale and disappointing to watch.
Don’t get me wrong, this is a lot better to watch than what we had to endure one season ago, but I’m tired of comparing this season to last year, because in the standings the overall record isn’t that much better. At this point last year the White Sox has 28 wins and this year they have 33.
The White Sox are currently on a four-game skid and now have to face the NL West first-place San Francisco Giants in a two-game set, which begins 16 straight days of baseball for this team.
If something doesn’t start to click with the starting pitching (except for Chris Sale) in the next 16 days, than it will be a long summer. To me, in non-technical terms, the White Sox just aren’t clicking on all cylinders at the same time.
The bullpen only seems to play their best when the pressure is off, the starting pitching has forced the offense to play catch-up in the early innings and the offense had had it’s struggles as well as they are trying make the score closer.
In a Chicago Sun-Times article it says of the White Sox “addressing their ills,”
"“Starting pitching remains a question mark, with ace Chris Sale the closest thing to a certainty each time he takes the mound.”"
See I’m not the only one who think this.
What are your thoughts on what the White Sox need to improve on to become a better team for the remainder of the season? Let us know.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In other White Sox news:
• Here is a series preview by the Chicago Tribune with the Giants visiting for two games. Chicago will face Matt Cain and Tim Hudson.
• ESPN Chicago wrote about how the White Sox are “failing to get past break-even hump.”
• CSN Chicago writes about what prospects of the White Sox we all should be watching.
• ICYMI: Remembering Tony Gwynn
Tweet of the Day: