Alexei Ramirez missing 1st start of season Saturday
Jun 24, 2014; Baltimore, MD, USA; Chicago White Sox shortstopAlexei Ramirez
(10) reacts after scoring in the sixth inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The White Sox defeated the Orioles 4-2. Mandatory Credit: Joy R. Absalon-USA TODAY Sports
For the 81 games, one constant for the Chicago White Sox starting lineup was Alexei Ramierz at shortstop, but today (June 28) the veteran will have a day off.
Ramirez is the final White Sox regular to have a day off and not make a start this season. Taking his spot Saturday is Leury Garcia, who will bat ninth in the batting order.
Here is a Tweet from CSN White Sox reporter Dan Hayes about Ramirez’s day off:
This season Ramirez is batting .293 with eight home runs on 38 RBIs. His on-base percentage is .325. He’s in the running to make the American League roster for the All-Star game in July.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
Ramirez has been in a bit of a slump lately from the RBI and home run standpoint, gaining his first RBI and home run since May 26 (RBI) and May 23 (home run).
Though I would prefer Ramirez in the lineup, but with the White Sox playing their 12th game in 12 days this is a good opportunity for some rest as they are scheduled to play 16 straight days of baseball before their next off day.
Here is the starting lineup for Saturday, June 28:
1. Adam Eaton (CF)
2. Gordon Beckham (2B)
3. Conor Gillaspie (3B)
4. Jose Abreu (1B)
5. Adam Dunn (DH)
6. Dayan Viciedo (RF)
7. Alejandro De Aza (LF)
8. Tyler Flowers (C )
9. Leury Garcia (SS)