Jun 29, 2014; Toronto, Ontario, CAN; Chicago White Sox manager Robin Ventura (23) throws a ball during batting practice before a game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. The Chicago White Sox won 4-0. Mandatory Credit: Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports
When the All-Star break was taking place earlier this week, former Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, the last manager to lead the White Sox to a World Series championship, talked about becoming manager of the team again one day.
The problem with the comments by Guillen are the White Sox currently have a manager in Robin Ventura, and current General Manager Rick Hahn is committed Ventura as he mentioned in an article on CSN Chicago.
In the article by Dan Hayes of CSN Chicago it said of Ventura and the White Sox in a quote by Hahn:
"“I will say my focus is on winning multiple championships with Robin Ventura.”"
As much as I like Ozzie, I think right now the White Sox just need to focus on Ventura, at least until the end of the regular season, and just see what type of improvement this ball club made.
The White Sox are currently 46-51, 9.5 games behind the AL Central leading Detroit Tigers who are 53-39 before games begin on Saturday.
I’m not saying I would never want Guillen back, because I really do like him as a manager, but I also want to see if the White Sox can start playing with a little consistency, or just begin to turn the corner for the remainder of the season and see where they end up at with Ventura.
Who knows, if they do get on a hot streak, maybe one of the two AL Wild Card spots can he theirs. The White Sox are 5.5 games back of the second wild card spot before Saturday’s game with the Houston Astros.
Tweet of the Day
In other White Sox news:
• The official site of the White Sox writes about Hahn following the long term prospects.
More from White Sox News
- Miguel Cairo could be manager the White Sox need right now
- Dylan Cease gets so close to a no-hitter in White Sox win
- 3 disappointing White Sox players that won’t rebound in 2023
- Jerry Reinsdorf might be thinking about a sale of the White Sox
- There is a fantastic update on White Sox pitcher Garrett Crochet
• About trade talks, Hahn and the White Sox are “playing cards close to vest,” writes the Chicago Tribune.
• Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago wrote about the White Sox bullpen after Friday’s game.
Follow Southside Showdown on Twitter @soxshowdown.