Jul 20, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox center fielder Adam Eaton (1) celebrates after scoring on a fielder
It isn’t if the Chicago White Sox will become sellers before the 2014 MLB Trade Deadline, but more like when will they become sellers, and that’s the question I have for today.
Would I like to see the White Sox earn a spot in the 2014 MLB Postseason? Yes.
If they were to make the postseason, they will have to play much better than allowing 11 runs against a very young and inexperienced Houston Astros team like they did on Sunday. The White Sox did take two-of-three against the Astros, but Chicago was capable of sweeping the series.
I don’t believe the White Sox can win the division with the current roster they have on the diamond. Even though they are 5.5 games out of the second and final AL Wild Card spot, the White Sox still have six teams ahead of them in the Wild Card standings, including WC leaders the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Seattle Mariners.
The New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays are 1.5 games back of the Mariners for the second WC spot, followed by the Cleveland Indians (-2.0), Kansas City Royals (-3.5) and then the White Sox (-5.5).
Just behind the White Sox in the AL WC standings are the Tampa Bay Rays and Boston Red Sox, each trailing the Mariners by 6.0 games.
With the path even to the second WC spot being very tough, I wouldn’t want to see the White Sox risk their future just to get good enough to get a second WC spot.
I believe the rest of the ’14 season is about preparing for the ’15 season, just to see what current players on the roster have to offer, and to see if the White Sox are able to make any trades that will improve them in the long run. The White Sox don’t need a quick fix to make a run at a Wild Card spot.
If any players are traded, I believe the ones we could see traded for prospects are Alexei Ramirez, Gordon Beckham, Adam Dunn and Dayan Viciedo. I’m not saying all of them will be traded, but I’d be surprised if all four of them will be on the roster at the end of the season.
Give us your thoughts on the current state of the White Sox, and what you want to see them do when if comes to the trade deadline.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
- New White Sox comments about the manager situation are baffling
In other White Sox news:
• Carlos Rodon “impresses” the White Sox Minor League field coordinator writes the official White Sox site.
• The Chicago Tribune writes the White Sox “need hot month at right time.”
• Here is what CBS Chicago wrote about Frank Thomas’ upcoming Hall of Fame induction and how he is looking forward to it.