Chicago White Sox Morning BP: MLB trade rumors and more
Jul 27, 2014; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Chicago White Sox right fielder Dayan Viciedo (24) hugs catcher Adrian Nieto (17) after his first career home run in the eighth inning against the Minnesota Twins at Target Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports
This is the craziest time of year for MLB fans with all the trade rumor talk, but it is also one of the best times of the year for that same reason.
One trade rumor that turned into a reality this weekend was seeing Jake Peavy being traded by the Boston Red Sox to the San Francisco Giants. Remember last season, it was the White Sox who traded Peavy to the Red Sox in a three-team deal.
Peavy eventually won the World Series last season with Boston, so will the same happen for the former White Sox pitcher this season?
As for the White Sox this season, a player on the “trade rumor list” is Dayan Viciedo, where MLB Trade Rumors has the Seattle Mariners interested in looking for help in the outfield, including Viciedo.
Yesterday I wrote about how there was a rumor where the Reds were interested in Viciedo, but I could see him landing in Seattle as well.
This season, “Tank,” is batting .237 after 101 games with a .286 on-base percentage and a slugging percentage of .396. All three of those numbers are under his averages from last season by a good bit. For his entire 2013 season (124 games), Viciedo batted .265 with a .304 OBP and a .426 slugging percentage.
As I said before I don’t think the White Sox will be able to get a lot for him, but a prospect or two would be well worth making a trade.
Since we spoke about former White Sox Peavy earlier in the article, have you been paying attention to Alex Rios, who the White Sox also traded during a deadline deal last year?
Rios is also swirled by many rumors with the Texans Rangers looking to make a trade. There are multiple reports saying Rios could be possibly traded to the Mariners, Giants, Reds or the New York Yankees.
As we keep getting closer to the trade deadline it will be fun to watch what not only the White Sox decide, but the rest of baseball. One of these potential moves could make a difference for the postseason.
What are your thoughts on the trade deadline?
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In other White Sox news:
• We wrote about both Frank Thomas and Tony La Russa being enshrined into the National Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday. Click here for Thomas and here for La Russa.
• Matt Lindstrom wants to return to the White Sox bullpen in early August writes the Chicago Sun-Times.
• Here is a Chicago Tribune video on Robin Ventura talking about Scott Carroll who was the starting pitcher on Sunday,
• CSN Chicago wrote about what fellow Hall of Famers said of Frank Thomas.
• Da Windy City of FanSided wrote about the White Sox winning three of four against the Twins this weekend.