Aug 31, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox manager Robin Ventura (23) during the seventh inning against the Detroit Tigers at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
The month of August was very bad to the Chicago White Sox in the standings as they won just nine times in 28 opportunities.
In August, the White Sox were 9-19 as they began and ended the month with a win. On Aug. 1 the White Sox defeated the Minnesota Twins 10-8, and on Aug. 31 they won by a 6-2 score over the Detroit Tigers.
In-between those wins, there was a lot of losing.
Here are some team highlights for the month:
• The White Sox lost six series in the month of August, but managed to split two series and win just one.
• The two series splits were a four-game series to end the month against the Tigers and a two-game series at San Francisco.
• Chicago’s series win was against the Toronto Blue Jays on Aug. 15-17 at US Cellular Field.
• Series losses came against the: Minnesota Twins, Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees and the Cleveland Indians.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
• The only teams to sweep the White Sox in August were the Orioles and Yankees, which was a six-game losing streak from Aug. 18-24.
• Chicago also had a four-game losing skid combined against the Rangers and Mariners from Aug. 5-8.
• The White Sox didn’t have consecutive wins all month.
• This was the first month all season (excluding March) where the White Sox didn’t have double-digit victories.
• In Aug. 2013 the White Sox were 16-23.
• In Aug. ’14 the White Sox scored 102 runs and allowed 167 runs.