Sep 13, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez (10) celebrates with third baseman Marcus Semien (5) after defeating the Minnesota Twins in game one of a doubleheader at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
Last week the Chicago White Sox made life a little tougher on the Oakland Athletics by winning three of four games against them at US Cellular Field, as the A’s are currently fighting for a postseason spot.
Can the White Sox do that again this week, as they are about to start a three-game set with the Kansas City Royals tonight in Kansas City? The Royals are 1.5 games back of the AL Central leading Detroit Tigers, with the Royals having 14 games left on their schedule.
Chicago is coming off wining two of three games against the Minnesota Twins, while the Royals just lost three of four in a home series against the Boston Red Sox. If Boston can play the role of spoiler, why not the White Sox as well?
Monday night’s game will be tough for the White Sox as they send John Danks (9-11, 5.05 ERA) against James Shields (14-7, 3.13 ERA) in the first of three in this series. Since the All-Star break, Danks is 1-5 with a 7.36 ERA in 10 starts (55 innings).
But as for being able to play the role of spoiler … the White Sox have seven more games this season left with the Royals, along with three games with the Tigers as well this time next week. So it is safe to say the White Sox will have some involvement in how the AL Central championship ultimately turns out. In between games with the Royals and Tigers the White Sox also face the Tampa Bay Rays on the road.
What are your thoughts on the White Sox being potential spoilers, and which team (Royals or Tigers) would you rather see win the AL Central title for this season?
Let us know what you are thinking.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In other White Sox news:
• Here is the game recap from Sunday by SS.
• Paul Korerko wants to return by the Tampa Bay series writes the official White Sox site.
• Here is what the Chicago Tribune wrote on the White Sox 6-4 loss to the Twins on Sunday.
• The Chicago Sun-Times says the White Sox will make the AL Central division leaders “work for it.”
• Konerko looked back at his games against foe Minnesota in this CSN Chicago article.