Sep 21, 2014; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; Chicago White Sox right fielder Avisail Garcia (26) reacts after he scored a run after he hit a home run during the sixth inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
This is it for the 2014 Chicago White Sox, with this being the final week of the MLB regular season.
The White Sox have seven games remaining, with there being three games at Detroit against the Tigers, and from Thursday-Sunday the White Sox will be hosting the Kansas City Royals to end the season.
These two series will also help determine who will win the AL Central as the Tigers and Royals are in the midst not only fighting for a Wild Card spot, but the AL Central title as well.
Before games on Monday, the Tigers hold a 1.5 game lead lead over the Royals in the division, with the Tigers winning two of three against the Royals over the weekend.
The Tigers are 86-69 overall, while the Royals are 84-70. Kansas City will be at Cleveland Monday. In that matchup, the Royals currently have the second Wild Card spot, while the Indians are just 3.5 games of that, so who knows what’s going to happen this week?
As for the White Sox, their postseason contention ended a long time ago, but they are still playing like they are in a playoff battle … at least they did on Sunday when they defeated the Tampa Bay 10-5 behind 12 hits. Two of those hits were home runs off the bat of Avisail Garcia.
It will be interesting to see how the White Sox end this season. Can the White Sox be spoilers this week? I think so.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In other White Sox news:
• Here is what CSN Chicago had on the White Sox 10-5 win over the Rays on Sunday.
• This is an article from the Chicago Sun-Times on Konerko refining his craft.