Chicago White Sox Morning BP: Involved in the AL Central race after all
Sep 22, 2014; Detroit, MI, USA; Chicago White Sox relief pitcher Jake Petricka (52) and catcher Tyler Flowers (21) celebrate with teammates after the game against the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park. Chicago won 2-0. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
The Chicago White Sox are involved in the race for the AL Central race after all, unfortunately it is the role of spoiler, rather than contender.
Last night the White Sox defeated the first-place Detroit Tigers, 2-0 behind the stellar pitching of Chris Bassitt. Tonight the Good Guys face David Price of the Tigers. The White Sox will send Scott Carroll to the mound.
As for the AL Central itself, here is a look at the standings before games on Tuesday:
Kansas City (85-71) -1.0
Cleveland (82-75) -4.5
Chicago (A) (72-84) -14.0
Minnesota (66-90) -20.0
There is also a Wild Card battle involving AL Central teams:
Oakland (86-70) +1.0
Kansas City (85-71)
Seattle (83-71) -2.0
Cleveland (82-75) -3.5
New York (A) (81-75) -4.0
Toronto Blue Jays (79-77) -6.0
So there ya go … that sums up the remaining AL postseason race, and the White Sox are going to play a role in it one way or another. The Good Guys have two games left with the Tigers, and four with the Royals.
I believe the White Sox will cost one of their fellow AL Central teams a spot in the postseason, and that is a plus for the White Sox, because it shows they are still playing tough even though they could have easily folded up camp and not even tried this entire month.
Playing teams who are so close to either having a postseason spot, and having the chance to eliminate them from the postseason makes watching the White Sox games for the rest of the season fun to watch.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
What are your thoughts?
In other White Sox news:
• Here are some memories shared by old and new White Sox players on the official White Sox site of Paul Konerko.
• There will be at least 10 former White Sox players at “Paul Konerko Day” on Saturday write ESPN Chicago.
• SS staff writer Joshua McKenzie wrote about Konerko.
• CSN Chicago writes of patience for Avisail Garcia.
• Garcia said he would welcome ex-teammate Victor Martinez to the White Sox next season writes the Chicago Sun-Times.