Jun 20, 2014; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Chicago White Sox batterPaul Konerko
(14) hits a RBI single in the ninth inning against the Minnesota Twins at Target Field. The Twins won 5-4. Mandatory Credit: Jesse Johnson-USA TODAY Sports
Did you happen to watch the thank you video from Paul Konerko yesterday when it was released before the final series of the 2014 season?
Sep 25, 2014; New York, NY, USA; New York Yankees shortstopDerek Jeter
(2) celebrates hitting a walk-off single against the Baltimore Orioles during the ninth inning at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: William Perlman/NJ Advance Media for NJ.com via USA TODAY Sports
If you didn’t see Paulie’s “Thank You” to the fans of the White Sox, you should, because it is special.
Another special moment took place on MLB last night, in the Bronx, when another retiring baseball player – Derek Jeter – had the game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the ninth to win his final home game at Yankee Stadium.
I’m far from being a Yankee fan, but I respect Jeter, and what he did on Thursday night by gaining the game-winning RBI was just special.
I think I would have enjoyed that moment even more if Jeter’s retirement tour wasn’t force fed to us all season, but either way, it was a fun moment to watch. I wish him and Paulie the best following their careers, which officially end on Sunday.
As for Paulie retiring … it has hit home this week, or it seems real now that he’ll be playing his final games this weekend for the White Sox. It is tough seeing him go, but it is something myself, and many other White Sox fans will eventually have get used to.
Paulie has been a White Sox since I was a teenager, and it will be strange not seeing him on the White Sox roster after this season concludes. More on that this weekend.
Either way following the “Thank You” video from Paulie, and the walk-off hit by Jeter on Thursday, baseball showed just how great and special it is and can be. We are lucky to be able to watch baseball greatness like her have with Paulie the past 16 seasons, and I hope he gets the final sendoff he deserves this weekend.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In other White Sox news:
• Here is what SS wrote about the loss on Thursday night to the Royals.
• Here is what Konerko said of his final series in a video from the Chicago Tribune.
• Konerko is “at peace” with upcoming retirement says CSN Chicago.
• Here is another Paulie article, this one from ESPN Chicago.