Chicago White Sox Morning BP: Postseason baseball arrives
Sep 21, 2014; Oakland, CA, USA; Oakland Athletics designated hitter Adam Dunn (10) celebrates scoring on a sacrifice fly by Oakland Athletics right fielder Josh Reddick (not pictured) during the first inning in game against the Philadelphia Phillies at O.co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Bob Stanton-USA TODAY Sports
Even though the Chicago White Sox are not in the postseason for the six consecutive season, the games are still exciting to watch, and something that all of us should (or most likely) are interested in as baseball fans.
The AL Central has two teams in the postseason this year in the AL Central Champion Detroit Tigers and the Wild Card team of the Kansas City Royals.
Sep 28, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez drives in a run with a sacrifice fly against the Chicago White Sox during the second inning at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
KC plays tonight in the AL Wild Card game at 8 p.m. ET on TBS against the Oakland Athletics. The pitching matchup should be great with Jon Lester pitching for the A’s against the Royals’ James Shields.
Against the Royals in ’14 the White Sox were 6-13 overall, and against the A’s the Good Guys were 4-3.
One player to keep an eye on in this one-game matchup to move to the ALDS as White Sox fans will be A’s designated hitter Adam Dunn, whom the White Sox traded to Oakland at the trade deadline at the end of August.
This will be the first time Dunn plays in an postseason game, after 2,000 regular season games in the majors. It could also be the final game of his career if he decides to retire and the A’s lose.
It would be fun to see Dunn do well in this game, but I have no ill feelings towards the Royals either, as their fans have waited 29 years just to see them back in the postseason.
What is your AL Wild Card game prediction? Mine is Kansas City wins over Oakland, 4-3.
The NL Wild Card game is Wednesday with the San Francisco Giants facing the Pittsburgh Pirates at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In White Sox news:
• At SS we wrote about Chris Sale finishing with the 2nd best ERA in the AL for his ’14 season.
• We also wrote about the possibility of Ozzie Guillen being interested in the vacant Minnesota Twins managerial job.
• Whitesox.com wrote about the development of the “young core” of players for ’15.
• The Chicago Sun-Times writes about how even the “bright spots” couldn’t overcome everything in ’14.
• CSN Chicago wrote about the weekend of Paul Konerko.