Chicago White Sox: 2015 Opening Day Roster
Mar 27, 2015; Mesa, AZ, USA; Chicago White Sox center fielder Adam Eaton (1) dives back to first base in the first inning against the Chicago Cubs during a spring training game at Sloan Park. Mandatory Credit: Rick Scuteri-USA TODAY Sports
The Chicago White Sox have finalized their 2015 Opening Say roster, as they will face the American League champion Kansas City Royals on Monday at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City.
For the White Sox, making his first start as a Chicago White Sox will be right-hander Jeff Samardzija. For the White Sox, Samardzija is in his first season with the White Sox, but last year with the Chicago Cubs (their ’14 Opening Day starter) and the Oakland Athletics the RHP finished with a 2.99 ERA. Samardzija was 7-13 last season with 202 strikeouts.
Samardzija will oppose Yordano Ventura of the Royals. Last season, Ventura had a 3.20 ERA with a 14-10 regular season record.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
To finalize the Opening Day roster the White Sox made the following moves on Sunday:
The following is from a White Sox press release:
• Placed RHP Jake Petricka (right forearm strain), LHP Chris Sale (avulsion fracture of right foot) and LHP Eric Surkamp (upper back strain) on the 15-day disabled list, all retroactive to March 27.
• Purchased the contracts of RHP Matt Albers, INF Micah Johnson and C Geovany Soto.
Sale could be back on the roster on Sunday when the White Sox host the Minnesota Twins. The ace of the White Sox staff didn’t make an official spring training start, but did have side sessions and play in “B” games for the White Sox.
Last season Sale was on the DL for nearly a month with a left flexor strain. Sale in ’14 finished with a 12-4 record and an ERA of 2.17. In ’14 Sale also collected 208 strikeouts and was third in the AL Cy Young award voting. Sale was the Opening Day starter for the White Sox last season.
Here is the 2015 Chicago White Sox Opening Day Roster:
• 79, Jose Abreu (1B)
• 15, Gordon Beckham (2B)
• 64, Emilio Bonifacio (INF)
• 12, Conor Gillaspie (3B)
• 7, Micah Johnson (2B)
• 25, Adam LaRoche (DH/1B)
• 10, Alexei Ramirez (SS)
• 5, Carlos Sanchez (INF)
• 53, Melky Cabrera (LF)
• 1, Adam Eaton (CF)
• 26, Avisail Garcia (RF)
• 20, J.B. Shuck (OF)
• 21, Tyler Flowers
• 58, Geovany Soto
• 34, Matt Albers (RHP)
• 50, John Danks (LHP)
• 51, Kyle Drabek (RHP)
• 33, Zach Duke (LHP)
• 33, Javy Guerra (RHP)
• 43, Dan Jennings (LHP)
• 48, Hector Noesi (RHP)
• 57, Zach Putnam (RHP)
• 62, Jose Quintana (LHP)
• 30, David Robertson (RHP)
• 29, Jeff Samardzija (RHP)
Disabled List (3)
• 41, Chris Sale (LHP)
• 52, Jake Petricka (RHP)
• 54, Eric Surkamp (LHP)
*All DL players on 15-day DL*
Next: White Sox Starting Rotation Preview