Sep 10, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago White Sox starting pitcher Chris Bassitt (61) throws a pitch against the Oakland Athletics during the first inning at U.S Cellular Field. Mandatory Credit: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports
Since the Chicago White Sox vs. the Minnesota Twins were postponed on Friday night, Saturday is a good as day of any for the “Good Guys” to play two against their AL Central rival.
Both of these teams are at the bottom of the division, with the White Sox in fourth and the Twins in fifth. Each team, long ago had dreams of the postseason erased, and now with the reality of constantly preparing for the offseason and the ’15 regular season is here.
Neither team was a real threat to content for the AL Central championship all season, but they can each still battle not to finish last in the division this season, and the weekend series for these two teams is huge in that aspect.
Sure finishing last in the division would make for a better draft choice next June, but aren’t you just a little bit tired of the White Sox being in last at the end of the season?
Either way, the White Sox will finish badly enough this season to gain a little reward in the draft next year, but with just 16 games left in ’14, it would be nice to at least take some game from the remaining opponents – especially the contenders – and make them work a little harder for the division title.
As for the Whie Sox today, here are the two pitching matchups (White Sox listed first) for the doubleheader, starting with the first game at 3:10 p.m. CT:
If nothing else Saturday isn’t just for college football today, so enjoy the rare weekend doubleheader.
More from White Sox News
- The Chicago White Sox might have had a season ending loss
- The Chicago White Sox are expecting Tim Anderson back soon
- Miguel Cairo’s words spark life into the Chicago White Sox
- Dylan Cease should be the favorite for the AL Cy Young Award
- Ozzie Guillen speaks the whole truth about Tony La Russa
In other White Sox news:
• Brian Draus of SS wrote about what’s left for the White Sox this season.
• Here is a series preview for the Twins at White Sox from the Chicago Tribune.
• If you want another take on the series preview, FanSided’s Puckett’s Pond wrote about the upcoming series as well.
• The Chicago Sun-Times writes about Jose Quintana’s WAR stat and how it shows his value.
• The White Sox honored one of their scouts writes ESPN Chicago.
• Garth Brooks had batting practice at US Cellular Field on Friday before the game was postponed.
• Here are some White Sox thoughts from the Daily Herald.